>>> KITCHEN TOUR
I live 5,280 feet above sea level, in a very dry climate. If you live in a humid climate, you may need to add additional flour to recipes to get the proper consistency. I’ve tried many of my recipes at sea level, but some of them (like cakes and muffins) need a few extra tablespoons of flour to bake up properly in the more humid climates.
- Unless otherwise noted, I use all ingredients at room temperature.
- All ingredients are carefully measured and leveled. Before measuring flour, fluff it with a fork.
- Any recipe that calls for a combination of cane sugar and molasses (or sucanat) can be replaced with equal amounts of brown sugar (i.e. 1 cup cane sugar plus 1 tablespoon molasses equals 1 cup brown sugar).
- When using tofu in bake goods, I always use the kind in the aseptic packaging (Mori-Nu brand).
When it comes to ingredients, I’m loyal to particular brands and feel that it’s important to use the best quality you can afford. I notice a huge difference when baking with off-brand flours, sugars or extracts, so sometimes spending the extra dollar is worth it in the long run.
- FLOUR – Bob’s Red Mill
- SUGAR – Wholesome sweeteners cane sugar and sucanat
- NON-DAIRY MILK – Califia Farms Almondmilk, Thai Kitchen (canned) full fat coconut milk
- NON-DAIRY BUTTER – Earth Balance buttery sticks
- OIL – Spectrum
- SHORTENING – Spectrum
- NUT BUTTERS – Justin’s, Jif natural peanut butter
- TOFU – Mori-Nu
Just like ingredients, I’m also insanely loyal to the tools and appliances that make my tiny kitchen run efficiently. My relationship with each of the companies (with the exception of GIR) started more than three years ago and I’ve been using their products ever since. It’s my belief that each product is one of the best available versions on the market, and I cannot imagine my kitchen without any of them.
- KitchenAid stand mixer, hand mixer, food processor
- Vitamix professional series 300 blender
- GIR spatulas
- Chicago Metallic baking sheets, cake pans, muffin pans
- Weck Jars
- Anchor Hocking glass mixing bowls
- Vic Firth rolling pin
- Silpat silicone mats